- Assisting City Council with planning for the City's future development
- Reviewing proposed development projects for conformance with the City's adopted policies and ordinances
- Maintaining and implementing the City's General Plan
- Providing information to the public about planning, zoning, planning permits, and landscape architecture requirements
- Providing staff for the Planning Commission, Historical Architectural Review Board, and Art Review Board
Development Services Center Open
To help construction projects move forward in Fremont and provide an alternative to online services, the City’s Development Services Center is open to the public; however, services and staffing are limited. For more information, please read this City news article.
Online Payments for PermitsThe City is accepting online payments for permit fees through Citizen Access. Payments can be submitted for planning permits, building/fire permits, and engineering permits. For more information, please read this City news article.
Building Inspection Services
To align with the revised Alameda County Shelter in Place Order, the City is expanding building inspection services for construction projects that comply with the Order and follow the Construction Project Safety Protocols included in the Order. Building inspections are available for all projects. Inspections can be scheduled online through the City’s Accela Citizen Access portal or by phone at 510-494-4885.
New Remote Procedures for Design Review Inspections
All new buildings, additions to buildings, and building site improvements require design review inspections by City staff. Design review inspections for buildings under construction are now being handled remotely using photographs provided by the project contractor. Applicants should send an email with their permit number, project address, and photographs. For more information, please contact design review staff at 510-494-4480 or by email.
Find information about Planning permits and download the Universal Planning Application Form
Boards and Commissions
Find information about the Art Review Board, Historical Architectural Review Board, Planning Commission, Sustainability Commission, and Zoning Administrator
Learn about citywide development projects, including those in the City's Priority Development Areas
Learn about the environmental review process and find environmental documents prepared for specific projects
Find maps with information about zoning, land use, development activity, and more
Plans and Guidelines
- Citywide Design Guidelines
- Downtown and City Center Community Plan
- City's General Plan
- Warm Springs Community Plan
Find the resources you need to complete your residential project
Learn about residential, commercial, and industrial zoning district
- Submit a pre-application for a new permit request.
- Pay permit fees.
- Look up permitting information on a specific property.
- Check on the status of a permit.
- Request a building inspection.
- Submit a concern to Code Enforcement.
- To get started, visit