The City of Fremont is accepting applications for a new Mobility Commission to help address Fremont’s transportation issues and needs. Earlier this year, the City Council approved a Mobility Action Plan, which was developed with guidance from a 14-member Task Force and an extensive community outreach process. The Task Force recommended the creation of an ongoing Mobility Commission to help implement the Mobility Action Plan. On October 15, 2019, the City Council adopted an Ordinance to formally establish the Mobility Commission.
The Mobility Commission will consist of nine members who are Fremont residents and includes representatives with expertise and leadership interests related to various travel modes including people who walk (two representatives), bicycle (two representatives), use transit (two representatives), and drive motor vehicles (two representatives); and persons with mobility impairments (one representative).
The Mobility Commission will have the following responsibilities:
- Assist the City with the implementation of actions included in adopted transportation plans, including the Mobility Action Plan and other plans related to traffic safety, traffic congestion management, school access, walking, bicycling, new technologies, and regional transportation.
- Help advocate for Fremont’s interests with regional agencies, including support for transportation funding.
- Assist the City with public education, outreach, and promotional activities in order to stimulate community participation in efforts such as safe routes to schools, traffic safety education, and use of alternative transportation modes.
- Provide input on the preparation of new and updated transportation policies, plans, and projects.
- Provide a forum to receive public comment on mobility topics.
Applications for the Mobility Commission positions are due on Monday, November 18, 2019, at noon. Commission member appointments are at the Mayor’s discretion and are proposed for review by the City Council in December 2019.
For more information and to submit an application visit our Mobility Action Plan webpage.