Walnut Ave. Bikeway Improvements
Walnut Avenue serves as the primary east-west corridor in the City Center providing multimodal connections to Downtown BART Station, health care facilities such as Kaiser and Washington Hospital , Fremont government offices, School of the Deaf and School of the Blind, and numerous commercial and retail centers.
The Walnut Avenue Bikeway Improvement Project between Mission Boulevard and Paseo Padre Parkway is Phase I of the protected bikeway improvements on Walnut Avenue.
The project will:
- Install Class IV (raised) asphalt concrete protected bikeways on 1.3 miles of Walnut Avenue on both sides of the street;
- Install a protected intersection with signal modifications at Walnut Avenue and Paseo Padre Parkway;
- Install a protected intersection with signal modifications at Walnut Avenue and Civic Center Drive;
- Install a pedestrian flashing beacon mid-block crossing signal on Walnut Avenue at the BART driveway that provides access to the BART Station and connects up to the Class I trail and the nearby development;
- Install a protected intersection at Walnut Avenue and Guardino Drive;
- Install a protected intersection at Walnut Avenue and Gallaudet Drive;
- Install signal interconnect along Walnut Avenue;
- Incorporate bus stop landing areas along the bikeway corridor;
- Provide concrete curb, gutter and sidewalk on both sides of the road including upgrading curb ramps at intersections;
- Provide new signing and striping and pavement markings.
- Install green bike lanes at the intersections along the Class IV raised bikeway;
- Install sharrows (shared -lane arrows) at high volume driveways along the bikeway;
- Construct additions to the storm drain system including laterals and inlets.
Schedule of Construction
Construction activities are expected to start in Summer 2019 and is expected to be completed by the end of 2020.
A minimum of one traffic lane in each direction will be kept open at all times to the extent possible. In general, most of the work will take place Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.