Development Services Center
**Important Notice: Holiday Closure**
The City is implementing a Holiday Closure for many non-public safety City Services from Monday, Dec. 24, 2018 through Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019. City offices participating in the Holiday Closure will re-open for business Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019. Prior to the Holiday Closure going into effect, community members who may need assistance with building permits and inspections are encouraged to use the time between now and Dec. 21 to organize project timelines and visit the Development Services Center. Community members with active building permits can coordinate building inspections with their building inspector at least one week prior to the closure. For questions, please call 510-494-4400.
In addition, all permit transactions, including permits submitted by mail or fax, need to be completed by 12 p.m. on Friday, December 21 due to year-end financial deadlines and the City’s Holiday Closure. Please come in no later than 11 a.m. on this day if you need to complete a permit.
Development Services Center
The Development Services Center (DSC) is a one-stop shop for accepting, reviewing, and approving applications and construction documents for all types of projects. Zoning, Planning, Engineering, and Building Inspection staff members are available to answer questions and assist you.
Visit the DSC to obtain a building permit through the Plans and Permits Division. Building permits are needed for all new construction or alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, or repair of existing homes, buildings, or structures. To apply for a permit, bring the completed application and your plans to the DSC. The amount of time it takes to review plans and issue a permit will depend on the type of project. For more information, contact the Plans and Permits Division at 510-494-4460.
Find useful information to research the zoning and permitting history of a building or project. You can also submit a record request form via fax at 510-494-4820 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In many instances, records can be copied for a nominal charge.
- Monday to Thursday: 8:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Starting July 1, 2018, the cashier in the Permit Center will close promptly at 4 p.m. on Monday through Thursday and at 12 p.m. on Friday. This is necessary to provide sufficient time for the daily processing of Permit Center financial transactions. The City is recommending that persons needing to apply and/or pay for a permit should arrive by 3 p.m. on Monday through Thursday and 11 a.m. on Friday. Persons arriving after these times may need to return the next business day to make a payment.
Introducing Citizen Access, the City of Fremont’s new online tool for looking up permitting information on a specific property, checking on the status of a permit, requesting a building inspection, and submitting a complaint to the City's Code Enforcement division. Citizen Access is quick, convenient, and easy to use. Visit Fremont.gov/CitizenAccess to get started.
Save Time! Save Money!
- Submit your project plans by email.
- Over-the-counter plan check appointments can also be scheduled during normal office hours. Call 510-494-4461 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment you will receive a response within 24 hours.
- Please be advised that expedited plan check reviews are not available at this time. We will continue to monitor this and provide updates when available.
- Building Permit Fee Schedule
- Development Impact and Affordable Housing Fees (effective until 6-30-2018)
- Development Impact and Affordable Housing Fees (effective starting 7-1-2018)
- Development and Permit Fees in Master Fee Schedule
- Electrical Code Review and Permit Fee Schedule
- Fire Code / Alarm / AFES Application and Permit Fee Schedule
- Mechanical Code Review and Permit Fee Schedule
- Plumbing Code Review and Permit Fee Schedule
Tell Us How We Are Doing!
We are continually trying to improve our services. If you were issued a permit within the last year, please take a moment to take our quick survey. Thank you!