Development Services Center
Development Services Center
The Development Services Center (DSC) is a one-stop shop for accepting, reviewing, and approving applications and construction documents for all types of projects. Zoning, Planning, Engineering, and Building Inspection staff members are available to answer questions and assist you.
On Monday, September 30, a new roof installation will begin for the Development Services Center. This will be an ongoing project over the next few months. You may experience limited parking space and construction noise when visiting the building. We will do our best to limit the disruption, and we appreciate your patience during this time.
Limiting Weight of Plan Sets
The Development Services Center is implementing a 20. Plans must be rolled and bound separately. Two or more sets rolled together cannot exceed 20 pounds. Single plan sets that exceed 20 pounds must be separated into volumes. Please keep this in mind when planning your visit. We appreciate your patience in implementing this new process.
Holiday Closure and 2019 Building Code Update
For information about the City's upcoming Holiday Closure in December, the 2019 building code update, and pertinent deadlines to submit planning and permitting applications, please read our latest Development Digest Newsletter.
Visit the DSC to obtain a building permit through the Plans and Permits Division. Building permits are needed for all new construction or alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, or repair of existing homes, buildings, or structures. To apply for a permit, bring the completed application and your plans to the DSC. The amount of time it takes to review plans and issue a permit will depend on the type of project. For more information, contact the Plans and Permits Division at 510-494-4460.
Find useful information to research the zoning and permitting history of a building or project. You can also submit a record request form via fax at 510-494-4820 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In many instances, records can be copied for a nominal charge.
- Monday to Thursday: 8:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Starting July 1, 2018, the cashier in the Permit Center will close promptly at 4 p.m. on Monday through Thursday and at 12 p.m. on Friday. This is necessary to provide sufficient time for the daily processing of Permit Center financial transactions. The City is recommending that persons needing to apply and/or pay for a permit should arrive by 3 p.m. on Monday through Thursday and 11 a.m. on Friday. Persons arriving after these times may need to return the next business day to make a payment.
Introducing Citizen Access, the City of Fremont’s new online tool for looking up permitting information on a specific property, checking on the status of a permit, requesting a building inspection, and submitting a complaint to the City's Code Enforcement division. Citizen Access is quick, convenient, and easy to use. Visit Fremont.gov/CitizenAccess to get started.
Save Time! Save Money!
- Submit your project plans by email.
- Over-the-counter plan check appointments can also be scheduled during normal office hours. Call 510-494-4461 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment you will receive a response within 24 hours.
- Please be advised that expedited plan check reviews are not available at this time. We will continue to monitor this and provide updates when available.
- Building Permit Fee Schedule
- Development Impact and Affordable Housing Fees (effective starting 7-1-2019)
- Development and Permit Fees in Master Fee Schedule
- Electrical Code Review and Permit Fee Schedule
- Fire Code / Alarm / AFES Application and Permit Fee Schedule
- Mechanical Code Review and Permit Fee Schedule
- Plumbing Code Review and Permit Fee Schedule
Tell Us How We Are Doing!
We are continually trying to improve our services. If you were issued a permit within the last year, please take a moment to take our quick survey. Thank you!