Plans & Permits
Development Services Center Closed March 16 to May 3, 2020
Effective Monday, March 16 through Sunday, May 3, 2020, most City of Fremont facilities are closed to the public to align with the Shelter in Place Order issued by the Alameda County Public Health Department to help slow the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The Development Services Center located at 39550 Liberty Street in Fremont is closed. The Development Services Center is the City's one-stop shop for accepting, reviewing, and approving permit applications and construction documents for all types of projects. During this closure, the City will not be processing permits.
Staff are available by phone or email to provide assistance and answer questions. Please see the contact information below.
- Building Inspection: 510-494-4400 or email
- Code Enforcement: 510-494-4430 or email
- Development Services Center: 510-494-4443 or email
- Housing: 510-494-4500 or email
- Planning: 510-494-4440 or email
- Plans and Permits: 510-494-4460 or email
- Sustainability: email
For more information and updates to City services, please visit the City's Coronavirus webpage.
Remote Video Building Inspections
On March 31, 2020, the Alameda County Public Health Department extended the current Shelter in Place Order through May 3, 2020 to continue to limit the spread of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). In order to keep City employees and the community safe during this time, the City of Fremont is offering Remote Video Building Inspections for limited types of construction projects that are allowed to proceed under the Shelter in Place Order.
Building Inspection is offering these live video call inspections to the public using the following apps: FaceTime (iOS) and Google Duo (Android). In order to connect to the video call and interact with the Building Inspector, customers should use a smartphone or tablet with a 4G or 5G wireless service connection.
Types of Inspections Considered for Remote Video Inspections
- Emergency electrical service or panel replacement
- Emergency utility service release due to storm damage
- Emergency water heater replacement
- Emergency furnace replacement
- Kitchen and bathroom work under construction if necessary for habitability (i.e., the only bathroom or kitchen in the home)
- Emergency commercial refrigeration replacement
- Emergency roof repair due to storm damage
- Emergency plumbing repair
- Underground trench work for buildings currently under construction to safeguard open trenches
ADA Business Requirements
Building and Fire Codes
Find ordinances for building and fire codes, energy reach does, earthquake hazard reduction, and post-disaster situations
Building Code Handouts
Find codes for building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing
Find permit information related to building and construction
Electronic Plan Review
- Electronic Solar Photovoltaic and Power Storage Unit Permits
- Electronic Commercial and Residential Plan Review
Plan Check Review
Learn more about submitting your projects and plans for review
Plan Review Schedule
Look up timetables for the plan review process
Residential Projects and Resources
Find everything you need to start your residential project