- Assisting City Council with planning for the City's future development
- Reviewing proposed development projects for conformance with the City's adopted policies and ordinances
- Maintaining and implementing the City's General Plan
- Providing information to the public about planning, zoning, planning permits, and landscape architecture requirements
- Providing staff for the Planning Commission, Historical Architectural Review Board, and Art Review Board
Development Services Center Reopening May 11, 2020
To help construction projects move forward in Fremont and provide an alternative to online services, the City’s Development Services Center is reopening to the public on Monday, May 11, 2020. The Center, located at 39550 Liberty Street, is a one-stop shop for accepting, reviewing, and approving permit applications and construction documents for all types of projects. As the Development Services Center reopens, services and staffing are limited. For more information, please read this City news article.
Online Pre-Application for PermitsThe City is accepting online pre-applications for the following permits: planning permits, building/fire permits, and engineering permits. The pre-application is available online through the City’s Accela Citizen Access portal. For more information, please visit the City's Pre-Application for Permits webpage.
Express Permits for Home Upgrade Projects
For express building permits for basic home upgrade projects like water heater replacements, roof replacements, and minor kitchen/bathroom remodels, applicants should submit their building permit application and plans by email. For more information, please visit the City's Express Permits webpage.
Building Inspection Services
To align with the revised Alameda County Shelter in Place Order, the City is expanding building inspection services for construction projects that comply with the Order and follow the Construction Project Safety Protocols included in the Order. Building inspections will be available for all projects starting Monday, May 4, 2020. Inspections can be scheduled online through the City’s Accela Citizen Access portal or by phone at 510-494-4885.
Frequently Asked Questions during COVID-19
Community Development has published a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) document to help answer questions about the City’s construction and development services during the COVID-19 pandemic (e.g., permit applications, plan reviews, and building inspections). This document will be updated regularly.
Community Development staff are available by phone or email to provide assistance and answer questions.
- Building Inspection: 510-494-4400 or email
- Code Enforcement: 510-494-4430 or email
- Development Services Center: 510-494-4443 or email
- Housing: 510-494-4500 or email
- Planning: 510-494-4440 or email
- Plans and Permits: 510-494-4460 or email
- Sustainability: email
Find information about Planning permits and download the Universal Planning Application Form
Boards and Commissions
Find information about the Art Review Board, Historical Architectural Review Board, Planning Commission, Sustainability Commission, and Zoning Administrator
Learn about citywide development projects, including those in the City's Priority Development Areas
Learn about the environmental review process and find environmental documents prepared for specific projects
Find maps with information about zoning, land use, development activity, and more
Plans and Guidelines
- Citywide Design Guidelines
- Downtown and City Center Community Plan
- City's General Plan
- Warm Springs Community Plan
Find the resources you need to complete your residential project
Learn about residential, commercial, and industrial zoning district