Preapproved Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)
The City is now preapproving plans for detached accessory dwelling units (ADUs) that are submitted by designers, architects, builders, and other qualified professionals. Preapproved ADU plans can be used throughout Fremont with an expedited plan review timeline and lower permitting costs. Selecting a preapproved ADU plan is the quickest way for homeowners to add a new secondary unit to their property in Fremont! Over the last two decades, the State has adopted a number of laws that encourage building ADUs and limit the requirements that may be imposed by cities on such units.
The City's Planning Division is currently accepting applications from qualified design professionals. For information on how to apply, please read the "For Designers" section below.
The City already has a growing list of designers with plans that have been preapproved through the Preapproved ADU Program. A list of preapproved plans is available below. To be notified when more plans become available, homeowners can sign up for the City's Preapproved ADU Interest List. More information is available in the "For Homeowners" section below.
For questions, please contact the Planning Division by email or by calling 510-494-4455.
For more information about ADU requirements, please view the City's ADU Fact Sheet.
The City is currently accepting applications from qualifying design professionals to have their plans for detached accessory dwelling units (ADUs) preapproved for use throughout Fremont. Having your ADU plans preapproved by the City is a great way to ensure that your future clients can move through the permitting process quickly and smoothly. All preapproved ADU plans will be featured on this webpage to help connect you with Fremont homeowners who are interested in adding an ADU to their property. You will still retain your copyright to the preapproved design so that any homeowner who wishes to use the design must contract with you to do so.
Once your ADU plan is preapproved by the City, the preapproval will remain valid until the City adopts new building or zoning codes that apply to your ADU plan. The City will notify you when such changes take place and let you know how updated plans can be submitted.
The City offers two options to get your ADU plans preapproved:
- Concurrent Processing: The City offers a “Concurrent Preapproval” application so that you can get your ADU plans preapproved while you are going through a site-specific plan check. Simply fill out a Request for Concurrent ADU Plan Preapproval along with your site-specific plan check application. Concurrent preapproval does not add any time or additional cost to your plan check. ADU plans that were submitted after January 1, 2020 and already reviewed by the City may also be considered for preapproval.
- Independent Application: The City also accepts applications for ADU preapproval independent of a site-specific plan check. Please refer to the City's ADU Preapproval Submittal Checklist. Applications may be submitted to the Planning Division by email.
Working with a designer that has a preapproved ADU plan is the quickest way for homeowners to add a new secondary unit to their property in Fremont. Here are just some of the advantages to selecting an ADU design that is preapproved by the City:
- Design Certainty: Know that the basic ADU design you have selected complies with the California Building Code and Citywide design guidelines.
- Fast Review: Applications using preapproved plans are reviewed in 7 business days, rather than 15 business days for standard applications.
- Reduced Fees: Applicants pay a flat plan review fee of $1,000. Additional construction and inspection fees still apply and vary depending on the plan selected.
In order to use a preapproved ADU plan, you must contract with the designer responsible for the plan set. All preapproved plans still require additional site-specific plans, studies, and engineering, as applicable. Please refer to the City's handout Preapproved ADUs: What’s Preapproved and What’s Not to view a basic overview of what additional information may be required if you use a preapproved ADU plan. A full list of submittal requirements is found on the City's Submittal Checklist for Using a Preapproved ADU Plan. The requirements for building an ADU are available on the City's ADU Fact Sheet.
Please browse the City’s list of preapproved ADU plans below. More plans are coming soon! To be notified when new plans become available, please sign up for the City's Preapproved ADU Interest List.
All preapproved plans still require additional site-specific plans, studies, and engineering. Homeowners are encouraged to contact the Planning Division and the Building and Safety Division to learn more about the requirements for constructing an ADU prior to beginning their project.
The following plans have been preapproved by the City of Fremont. In order to use a preapproved ADU plan, homeowners must contract with the designer responsible for the plan set. Contact information for designers with preapproved plans and sample photos of their ADU units are available below.
Designer: Adore Homes
Photos show model unit. Contact the designer for exact preapproved specifications.
Please note that the City of Fremont has reviewed the above accessory dwelling unit plans and found them in conformance with all applicable zoning and building code requirements. The approval of these plans does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of any specific designer, contractor, or other design professional by the City.