The Zoning Ordinance implements the policies of the City of Fremont's General Plan by classifying and regulating the uses of land and structures within the City. The establishment of zoning districts—such as residential, commercial, and industrial districts—provides regulations regarding permitted, conditionally permitted, and specifically prohibited land uses and establishes development standards (e.g., setbacks, height limits, and building size limitations) for structures and land. These standards vary depending on the location (zoning district) within the City. The zoning district for a particular site is shown on the City's zoning maps, while the specific regulations are found within Title 18 (Zoning Ordinance) of the Fremont Municipal Code.
- Find My Zoning District (Using Interactive Maps) (Using PDF Maps)
- ZoningCheck for Businesses. If you want to open a business in Fremont, this online tool lets you know if the business is allowed at the location you are interested in. If you do not have a location in mind, it will show you where in the City the business could be located. Visit Fremont.gov/ZoningCheck.
- Fremont Municipal Code (Refer to Title 18 for Zoning Ordinance)
Summary of Common Zoning District Standards
- Single-Family Residential Districts
- Multi-Family Residential Districts
- Standard Commercial and Mixed Use Districts
(Downtown, City Center, Warm Springs Innovation District)
- Standard Industrial Districts
(Warm Springs Innovation District)
Zoning Verification Letter
A Zoning Verification Letter is an official letter from the Planning Division that identifies zoning for a particular property and whether the use and development of the property conforms to that zoning. The letter will also identify any outstanding code enforcement violations and provide a permit history for the property. A request for a Zoning Verification Letter must be made in writing and takes approximately 15 business days from receipt to receive a response. The basic cost for a Zoning Verification Letter is $145 per parcel. If your request requires more research than is typical, a staff member will contact you.
To request a Zoning Verification Letter, send your written request and payment of $145 per parcel payable to City of Fremont to: Planning Division, PO Box 5006, Fremont, CA 94537-5006.
Email a planner at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 494-4455.