On Tuesday, January 18, 2022, the Fremont City Council voted unanimously for the City to apply for the second round of funding available through the State’s Homekey program. The City has applied for a $40.2 million State grant to purchase a motel and convert it to an affordable housing apartment complex for acutely low-income residents, which includes homeless individuals or those at risk of becoming homeless. If awarded, the funding will be used to convert the Motel 6 located at 46101 Research Ave. in Fremont to 156 units of affordable housing. The City is excited about this possible funding opportunity to help provide more affordable housing for individuals and families experiencing homelessness. Addressing homelessness in Fremont remains a top priority.
The City Council also authorized the City to enter into an agreement with housing developer Shangri-La Industries for them to acquire, rehabilitate, and own the Motel 6 Homekey project in Fremont. The agreement also includes partnering with service provider Step Up for them to manage the property and provide supportive services to tenants.
For more information, please read the City's Homekey Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Homekey Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - English (updated 5/2/22)
- Homekey Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Chinese (updated 2/7/22)
- Homekey One-Page Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs Flyer (updated 5/2/22)
The City has submitted the Homekey application to the State. The funding award announcement from the State is expected by July 1, 2022. If awarded, construction of the project would begin as soon as possible. The goal would be to have all units occupied by October 2023.
The City will provide project updates on this webpage as information becomes available. Stay tuned.
For more information about the project, view the documents below:
- Staff Report - January 18, 2022
- Community Engagement Plan from Service Provider
- City Council Presentation - January 18, 2022
- City Council Meeting Recording - January 18, 2022
- Letters of Support
- Homekey Project FAQs - English - Updated 5/2/22
- Homekey Project FAQs - Chinese - Updated 2/7/22
- Homekey One-Page FAQs Flyer - Updated 5/2/22
- Who is Experiencing Homelessness in California? (California Budget & Policy Center, February 2022)
- Video of Formerly Homeless Tenant Speaking at Grand Opening of City Center Apartments in Fremont (Abode Services Facebook Video; speech starts at 32:19)