Register a Business

Steps to Register
In order to register your business, please follow these steps:
  • Check to see if you qualify for a Business Tax Exemption
  • If you do not qualify for an exemption, you will be required to complete a Business Tax Application Form and submit it with payment to the City of Fremont Revenue Division, 39550 Liberty Street, P.O. Box 5006, Fremont, CA 94537-5006
    • If you will be registering the business using a name other than your legal name, you will need to register that name with the County of Alameda, County Clerk, at 1106 Madison Street, Oakland, CA 94607; contact the County Clerk's Office at 510-272-6362
    • If your business will sell a product, you may be required to have a Seller's Permit; contact the State Board of Equalization at 1515 Clay Street, Suite 303, Oakland, CA, at 510-622-4100, or at 800-432-2829 to find out if you need a Seller's Permit
  • If you will be doing business in Fremont from a location outside of the City limits, you will need to complete a Business Tax Application
  • If you will be running a business from a residence, you will need to complete the Home Occupation Permit
  • Certain businesses may require additional permits and may incur different tax rates; contact the Revenue Division at 510-494-4790, ext 2 for more information
  • Registration tax is due at the time you start your business; the tax is $30 for commercial and home-based businesses, except licensed contractors who pay $125 for a one year license. A $1 State Mandated fee will need to be included in the total registration fee.
  • You are required to renew your Business Tax yearly
Business Tax Applications
Business Tax Registration Applications are available online, or at the Revenue Division Cashier Window in the Development Services Center. If you would like an application mailed to you, please leave a message on the Revenue Division Voice Mail line at 510-494-4790, ext 2. Specify the following information so we can mail the correct forms to you:
  • Whether the business will be based from a commercial or residential location in Fremont or outside of Fremont
  • A brief description of the nature of your business
  • Your mailing address
Please note: If your business has closed, you must notify the City in writing of the date of closure. Sign and date the letter and return it to the City of Fremont Revenue Division. If your business had income or payroll depending on the basis of your particular tax, you should send payment for your closing gross with the letter.

Further information on the Fremont Business Tax can be found in the Fremont Municipal Code.