Building permits are the way the City regulates construction to ensure that it is safe for occupancy or use. This is done through the review of plans and periodic inspections to verify compliance with the current California Building Code and local regulations. Every permit requires a building inspection.
How to Obtain a Building Permit
Common Building Permits
For fee information, see the Fee Schedules.
Coordinating with Other Agencies
To assist you in obtaining your permits, coordination with outside agencies may be necessary. Visit our Agency Coordination List for the contact information of these different agencies.
California Green Building Standards
New green standards are in effect. See Recycling Requirements for Construction & Demolition Projects.
Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide DetectorsProjects for residential dwelling units with a valuation of $1,000 or greater require verification of smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detectors. Please contact the Inspection Division at 510-494-4400 for detector requirements for your project.
Citizen Access Online Permitting Portal
- Submit a permit request for planning, building, fire, solar, and engineering permits.
- Pay permit fees.
- Look up permitting information on a specific property.
- Check on the status of a permit.
- Request a building inspection.
- Submit a concern to Code Enforcement.
- Visit Fremont.gov/Citizen Access to get started.