Public schools in Fremont are back in session on Wednesday, August 18. We want to encourage drivers to be more aware and vigilant as thousands of children begin their new school year by walking to and from school next week. The Fremont Police Department’s on duty personnel will conduct additional enforcement patrols during the first week of school.
Parents should take a proactive stance on traffic safety by taking the time to talk about safety with their children before they head back to school.
If your children are walking to school, it’s a good idea for parents to plan the route ahead of time with your child. Once it has been planned out, walk the route to school with your children before the start of the year to assess hazards and select a course with the least number of traffic crossings. It’s important to tell your children that they should find a walking buddy and stay on the same course each day.
Adults can teach and model safety behaviors that all children should follow, even if they don’t walk to school every day.
Here are some simple reminders for drivers:
- Slow down.
- Follow any school rules for dropping off or picking up students.
- Stop for school buses. Watch for children rushing to catch the bus or exiting.
- Whenever possible, avoid blocking the crosswalk while waiting to make a right-hand turn.
- Always look both ways before crossing the street. Make sure cars see you.
- Walk on sidewalks, when available. Cross at marked crosswalks, preferably at stop signs or signals.
- Watch for cars entering or backing out of driveways or leaving parking spaces.
Reminder for your children:
- They should cross the street with an adult until they are at least 10 years old or an age of maturity where they can make independent decisions.
- Remind them that they should never speak, accept gifts, or rides from a stranger.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Never run out into the streets or cross in between parked cars.
- Make sure they always walk in front of the bus where the driver can see them.
- Wear a helmet when riding a bike, scooter, or skateboard.
- They should know their phone number, address, and cell phone number of a parent.
Find more school safety tips.
Watch the safety video.
We wish all of the students in Fremont a great school year ahead! Be safe and drive carefully.