Tips for hiring tree professionals

Confirm credentials:  A City Approved Tree Contractor, must be used for all maintenance on, removal of, and/or replacement of street trees. If you are selecting your own contractor for private tree work, ask the contractor to provide their licensure, proof of bonding, and ISA Certified Arborist credentials to ensure that work is performed safely, that your property is protected, and that the integrity of your tree is preserved.

Pay with a paper trail: Pay the service professional with a credit card or check, not cash. Do not make large deposits or upfront payments. Eligibility for the 50-50 Tree and Sidewalk Programs is dependent on proof of payment by check or credit card and the use of an Approved Tree Contractor.

Do your research: Before you hire a contractor, get 2-3 bids for the project. Read ratings and reviews and/or ask around.

Keep written records of everything: Get it in writing: permit numbers, invoices, proof of payment, before and after photos, and all project-related communication. You will need all this documentation to receive your check from the City for 50-50 Tree and Sidewalk Programs.

Show All Answers

1. What is a street tree?
2. Who is responsible for maintaining street trees and sidewalks?
3. Can I do the tree work myself or have my gardener do it?
4. Why do I need a tree permit?
5. What criteria do you use to decide if a permit for tree removal will be approved?
6. How long does it take for a tree permit to get approved or denied?
7. What is tree topping?
8. The topped tree was here when I purchased the house. Am I still responsible to fix it?
9. This tree has been pruned like this (topped) for years. Why did I receive a notice about it now?
10. The tree is alive, why do I need to remove it?
11. How do I report a tree down on the sidewalk or street?
12. Tips for hiring tree professionals
13. What if I am concerned or would like to file a complaint about a neighbor’s tree?
14. Can I plant a street tree?